Robyn is founder and clinical director of Brickel and Associates, LLC in Old Town, Alexandria, Virginia, established in 1999. She brings a strengths-based, trauma-informed systems approach to the treatment of mood disorders, addiction, trauma, self-harm, eating disorders, perinatal mood and anxiety disorders, and other mental health conditions. She is deeply committed to clinical practice, professional education and better public awareness of mental health issues.
Brickel and Associates, LLC is a private psychotherapy practice in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. Our counselors serve individual adolescents and adults, couples, families and groups, under the direction of Robyn.
We are dedicated to helping our patients or clients make and maintain positive changes in their lives. We bring a positive, proactive approach to therapy, helping clients achieve greater self-esteem, build healthier relationships, and make the emotional, cognitive and behavioral changes they seek.
We will help you create tools to make a safe and stable environment, within therapy and to use in your daily life. You’ll find the resources and tools to establish clear boundaries, explore new ways to cope with everyday challenges and emotions, and increase your strengths and abilities.
Robyn works with clients and clinicians who wish to better understand the impact of trauma on mental health and relationships. Always learning, she continuously participates in training programs to stay abreast of the current theories and models of therapy – and shares this knowledge with others. Robyn presents workshops for various organizations and is on the faculty at the Institute for Advanced Psychotherapy Training and Education. Her educational programs address the treatment of substance abuse, including adolescent substance abuse and the impact on the family, perinatal mental health and trauma.
As a clinician, she integrates 20 years of training and experience with numerous treatment modalities, including advanced training in several models of relational or couple’s therapy, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, and is an EMDRIA Certified EMDR therapist and EMDRIA Approved Consultant-in-Training (see CV and information below for a complete list). She frequently shares insights, resources and links to mental health news on Facebook, Twitter and in her blog at BrickelandAssociates.com.
A Trauma-Informed, Strengths-Based, Systems Approach to Care
“In my experience, a diagnosis of cancer for yourself or a loved one is traumatic for everyone involved. Cancer disrupts the sense of safety and predictability in life and, as such, needs to be treated from a trauma-informed, strengths-based model of care, as we do.”
Working with individuals (adolescents and adults), couples, families, and groups, Robyn specializes in the treatment of trauma across a full spectrum of conditions, including the use of dissociation, addictions, self-harm, and eating disorder behaviors, as well as challenged family systems, mood disorders, and maternal and parental mental health issues. She brings advanced training and experience to help clients in therapy make and maintain positive changes, find needed resources, and work from personal strengths.
Support for Couples
Robyn is a Licensed Marriage and Family therapist with advanced training in several additional models of couples’ therapy, such as Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (EFT), IMAGO, and The Psychobiological Approach to Couple Therapy (PACT).
Support for Adolescents
Robyn’s work with adolescents goes beyond behavioral interventions and school performance. She brings a collaborative approach to address the underlying issues around substance abuse, self-harm, eating disorders, and challenged family systems. She helps young people and their families benefit from positive relationships and community resources, so family members grow and thrive together.
Post-Licensure Training and Education Programs
- Training in many trauma-informed therapy models, including the treatment of substance abuse/alcohol and process addictions, dissociation, and other effects of trauma
- Specialty training in Ego State Psychotherapy from the Center for Healing and Imagery
- Advanced Trauma Treatment Certification, Advanced Institute of Psychotherapy Training and Education, Inc
- Certification, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- EMDRIA Approved Consultant-in-Training (CIT)
- Specialty training from the Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute in the Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Approach to Trauma: Levels I and II
- Specialty training in the Internal Family Systems model of therapy
- Advanced training in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
- Specialty Training in the Psychobiological Approach to Couple Therapy (PACT)
- Training in Imago Relational Therapy
- Specialty training from Postpartum Support International and the 2020 Mom Project, including the completion of the Maternal Mental Health certificate training and other Parental Mental Health trainings
- Completion of The Postpartum Stress Center Post Graduate Training Program
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional – Level II C-PTSD